In partnership with CBSSports.com
Black shoes, basic blues. No names, all game
Buy, sell and swap tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
I did this last week and figured I would again.
-Having no Belton this week hurt us, the RBs did ok, but there was no explosion back there and all we could get were short gains.
-Special teams is going to kill us all year. Ficken had one of the worst games a kicker could have and Butterworth can't be relied on at all.
-Defense played much better and actually had a nice game, 3rd down defense needs work though, especially long yardage 3rd downs.
-Allen Robinson is a good player, but he had a few critical drops today, great catch on the TD though.
-Kyle Carter needs to get the ball more, he was pretty much non existent today besides the TD.
-I did not like the amount of HB draw we did or the amount of runs in general. We had much more success throwing the ball and should have done it more
-Just like last week and this is going to be a problem all year most likely, we don't make big plays. It is extremely hard to go 80 yards on 15 plays all the time, we need some longer gains.
-Mauti is playing really well and looks healthy,great news.
-Defense did a nice job creating turnovers, but we didn't capitalize enough. Ficken obviously had something to do with it.
-Anyone blaming the coaches needs to just stop. Players make the plays they should and we are 2-0.
-Adam Gress struggled big time today
Can't really disagree with anything there.
Follow me on Twitter @rayraycotto
Gress had a big issue with the blitz.
Whereas I agree with the point, just the fact that this team is actually capable of 15 plays and 80 yards is amazing. Never would have thought it possible.
Have one problem with this. For the most part, I agree. However the RBS did NOT do ok. Our running game averaged 2.9 yards per carry and if not for Glenn Carson's 19-yard run, worse than that. Dukes has potential to do something. Day, not so much. Zwinak, I don't see being a factor at all.
If Belton remains on the shelf, get Dukes and Lynch in there and less Day and Zwinak.
Agree with the OP and would add, while Mauti looks healthy, Massaro limped off the field twice that I saw... Frustrated for him.
WE ARE! And we will always be...
Don't forget that sacks to McGloin and Bench count against rushing stats per college rules. That skewed it as well.
I think ZZ can be a short yardage/goal line/straight ahead back, but I'd agree overall that Belton, Dukes and Lynch need to get the bulk of the carries going forward. i think that is clear.
- long drives. They were able to convert a number of times, including fourth downs.
- Allen Robinson. Kid had a couple of unfortunate drops, but also had the big TD catch and is a dependable player in general. Kenney also performed quite well, I think we need to get the ball into his hands more.
- defensive play. Got pressure on both Sims and Rocco. Barnes stepped up against UVA's monster OTs. The blitzes in general were timed much better. Still got burned on one or two, but saw a bit more effectiveness out of them...also saw less blitzing overall. One note - give credit to their TE, McGee. Yeah, our players messed up some of those plays, but that kid made some of those plays. The fact that he caught some of those balls was solid. He made their offense.
- Dukes did a decent job running against what is supposed to be a good run D.
- Donovan Smith makes our OL look really good. Our OL looks quite solid in pass pro with him.
- continuing to see guys open on pass plays.
- I think most of these have been covered. Running game was very poor, and I really think someone besides Day needs to be the RB. Kicking needs to improve. Really want to see some screens on offense.
you just named a bunch of problems that have a direct impact from coaching. Here are your quotes below from your original post....
1)Kyle Carter needs to get the ball more,
2)We had much more success throwing the ball and should have done it more
3)we don't make big plays.
4) It is extremely hard to go 80 yards on 15 plays all the time,
5)Defense did a nice job creating turnovers, ****but we didn't capitalize enough.****
And here comes your gem of a comment after all you posted above that are directly a result of play calling(coaching)
"Anyone blaming the coaches needs to just stop. Players make the plays they should and we are 2-0."
....Yet you say I know nothing....Interesting at the least
BacardiBuckeye: "But in all honesty I like Penn State, I want to see Penn State do good that's why I check this board everyday." 4/2/14
Deion Barnes- He played awesome today, as well as the rest of the defensive line.
Linebackers- Made tons of plays today.
Alex Kenney- Could be a huge part of our offense to help McGloin avoid the blitz.
Yeah I agree with everyone that Kenney needs to be on the field more... Kersey on the other hand... Disappointed in him to say the least. BUT, he did make a couple of key catches. i hope he continues to build and improve with each game. These growing pains hurt. I hope we can right the ship against Navy.
This post was edited by rmj147 22 months ago
Jeez, give it a break already. Coaches and players could have all done better. But despite that, a PAT OR a chip shot FG (both of which should be automatic for a BCS level kicker) would have altered the outcome of the game.
“We need to keep this (expletive) together,” Mauti and Zordich to Hill
dont you think the drives a little too long?
long drives and constant third and fourth down attempts is no way to be successful. I think longs drives are usually a positive but with the way we have been going through our long drives, I think it is a problem.
Sam Ficken needs to kick better. That's all that needs to happen. That and better EXECUTION in red zone so that we don't have to have Ficken kicking better. Which is on the players.
1) O'Brien could have maybe called a few more plays to try and get Carter the ball, but he doesn't throw the football so not entirely his fault, but I'll give you that one.
2) We should have thrown more, coaching issue, fair enough.
3) BOB can't make big plays for the guys, goes back to use not having great playmakers or a great QB
4) Pretty much same answer as #3
5) If Ficken would have made the FGs we would have capitalized enough to win the game and again BOB doesn't play the game.
I never said that the coaching was perfect, coaching never is and anyone expecting that is just dumb. BOB has done a good enough job coaching wise to win the first two games though. What you don't seem to understand is you can't just try to run a high powered, big play offense with the wrong personnel. BOB is creating a game plan that this group of players can run, he knows their limitations, you don't.
And there are plenty of limitations. BOB has done a great job with these guys. Minus a few play call decisions at key times, I am happy. I didn't like the McGloin going BACKWARDS to get the ball to the middle of the field. Run 2 quick passes to try to get yards to do the same thing. We still had a TO. Only gripe coaching wise was that... And the fact that we continue to send Della Salle and Lewis back on punts, when it should be one guy. Alex Kenney.
Kersey had 1 catch for 9 yds.
Yeah. Like I said, I was disappointed. But that one catch was on 3rd down, for a first down... I just hope that he continues to get better and more consistent with his hands... He drops too many balls. Robinson too...
More needs to happen than Ficken kicking better. PSU's defense forced four turnovers. PSU netted three points on those miscues and only got ONE YARD total of offense off those miscues. That, is a problem.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports