Penn State has suffered its first decommitment since the firing of head coach Joe Paterno, as Windsor (Colo.) offensive lineman Joey O'Connor told 247Sports on Thursday evening that he has reopened his recruitment.
"Earlier this evening I decided to decommit and keep my options open," he said. "Right now, I just wanted to relieve some of this pressure off of me with everything that is going on and concentrate on my senior football season and give my football team the best that I can give them.
"After the season, I'll start narrowing things down, calling coaches, everything I can do. We'll just take it day by day."
The 6-foot-3, 280-pound prospect held scholarship offers from Arizona, Arizona State, California, Colorado, Colorado State, South Carolina, Tennessee, UCLA, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming before his commitment in late June. He said that right now he is not sure which schools will be options in the future.
"The playing field is wide open right now," he said. "I have not ruled out Penn State. We're just going to take it day by day and figure some things out."
O'Connor has remained in touch with the Penn State staff throughout the entire situation in Happy Valley. He has already taken his official visit to Penn State.
"I've been talking to Bill Kenney, the offensive line coach, I talked to him earlier this evening about decommitting," he said. "He respects my decision and he'll said he'll be in contact with me and see what happens."
The three-star prospect added that he would be keeping a close eye on who the Nittany Lions will turn to as their next coach.